A friend was at a loss in finding the perfect cake for his mother. The UAE may be one of the most modern countries in the world but when it comes to desserts there is a gaping hole. For some reason, something is just isn't right here. There are better options available today though (compared to 5 years back) but hasn't really come as close to Australia, UK or the USA yet.
So I proposed a cake that is easy-to-prepare yet unique in certain ways and fitting for a well-loved mother.
I came up with this elegant and dainty Plum Victoria Cake adorned with nothing but fresh plum slices fashioned into rosettes on top of the cake and around the side clad with a thin layer of dark chocolate.
The elements are straightforward:
- Three layers of Victoria sponge cake
- Plum compote (cooked with cinnamon and a little bit of red wine)
- Whipped cream
When you take on this project bear in mind the amount of time required to create the rosettes. You also need a very thin slicer such as a mandolin to achieve this. I used my dependable truffle slicer. Remember to soak the sliced fruits in a bath mixture of hot water and some lemon juice to prevent browning. The hot water makes the flesh softer and therefore much easier to form into petals.
To make your plum filling:
- De-seed about 6 pieces of ripe plums and chop them up.
- Measure white sugar up to 75% of the amount of plums used using the imperial system (for example, if you measured up 1 cup of chopped plums put 3/4 cup of sugar).
- Add two sticks of cinnamon and 60 ml of red wine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the plums are cooked through and the mixture is thickened.
- Allow to cool fully in the chiller before use.
Assemble this cake by alternately layering the whipped cream (unsweetened) with the plum compote in between the Victoria sponge cake. There is no need for a syrup punch as this type of cake is moist, sweet and rich enough.
Coat the top and sides with a thin and even layer of whipped cream.
Cover the sides first with tempered dark chocolate before proceeding with the floral decoration.
It took me around 3 hours for the finishing. So, be wary of your timing.