To create these little gingerbread minions, prepare the chestnut truffle cream and gingerbread cookie recipes here.
Additional items needed:
- Cassis, raspberry or gooseberry jam - must be thick and not runny*
- Black edible food color (for decoration)
*if it is runny, cook the jam in a heavy-bottom saucepan on medium heat until it thickens.
- Once the gingerbread cookies have completely cooled down, you may either do the finishing touches on the surface or proceed filling the pieces with the chestnut cream.
- When filling the cookies, pipe around the edges using either a star or round decorator's tip leaving some space along the sides (as you will have to press the cookies down later to close it) and in the middle.
- Fill another pastry bag with your choice of jam.
- With the space in the middle, pipe in the jam.
- Place the second cookie on top and press down gently to close it.
- Store in an airtight container and allow the chestnut cream to set fully before serving -- which can take up up to 24 hours.
- Best served at ambient temperatures. However, refrigerate after 3 days to preserve freshness.